Wednesday, January 7, 2009

happier new year

it's been awhile. i always get impatient with my blog-writing friends and family for not posting, and then i realize that it's been weeks since i have either. hypocrasy!

it is a new year. you may have noticed the change in year numbers (8 --> 9), the parties you went to, the big ball that fell on manhattan... but if you didn't know, it is now 2009. instead of 2008. for me this is a wonderful thing. i feel like i've almost accomplished it. i'm sure the world would have turned one year older without me, but all the things that went wrong this year seem to overshadow the things that have gone right, and i made it out alive and ok. which is why i'd like to mention those things that have gone right! (thanks for the inspiration for this list, alison.) in no particular order:

  • many of my friends graduated from college, and i was able to see them do it.
  • rabbit and ashley got engaged.
  • i forgave someone. at least two people actually.
  • mom and charlie moved in together.
  • i (who-knows-how-temporarily) adopted george washington the cat into my care.
  • dad got a puppy.
  • kimberlee, alison, and arum all visited.
  • sean put plans and dreams into motion.
  • aubrey got engaged, and asked me to be a bridesmaid.
  • amy and bryan decided to become engaged (although i believe the actual event happened on jan. 1.) um, i hope it's ok that i wrote this here. but they didn't say not to tell. and i'm happy about it so too bad!
  • grandpa lived through a few close calls.
  • our friends made it through a terrific loss. (yes i am counting that as a good thing. because we could have fallen apart.)
  • my dad wasn't hurt in the house fire.
  • i found out how brave chris is.
  • edit: i didn't mention my aunt being cured of colon cancer after almost dying. it seems so long ago i can't believe that was this year. wow.
  • ha! see? last year was so good that i forgot at least two HUGE things. the above, and OBAMA BEING FUCKING ELECTED. duh. duhduhduhduhduhduh.
wonder what else wonderful happened last year? comment with at least one wonderful (or at least pretty good) thing that happened in 2008. it will probably cheer you up, even if you already feel cheerful.

i am going to choose to be thankful as much as i can. i will always look back at 2008 as a horrible year in many respects, and i'm glad to see it go, but it's not healthy to stay angry or sad about it. it's over and i am a lot better person than i was when it began.

here is a prayer from e e cummings for the new year. maybe you can say it too.

may my heart always be open to little
birds who are the secrets of living
whatever they sing is better than to know
and if men should not hear them men are old

may my mind stroll about hungry
and fearless and thirsty and supple
and even if it's sunday may i be wrong
for whenever men are right they are not young

and my myself do nothing usefully
and love yourself so more than truly
there's never been quite such a fool who could fail
pulling all the sky over him with one smile

5 comments:

cornbread hell said...

that's easy.

1. my sister overcame a serious bout with colon cancer.

2. my other sister and i are closer than ever before.

josephine terese said...

dad, see edit.

rabbit! said...

yes we did?

Kacey said...

Good one, Rabbit!

1. I began dating Joe, someone who respects and loves me far more than I probably deserve.

2. I reforged my relationships with several family members.

3. I made a bunch of wonderful new friends.

Chrissy said...

what a great post! hm, let's see. in 2008, i bought a new bicycle and learned to mountain bike, traveled to a bunch of cool places for free because of my job, and learned how to use my sewing machine. not bad!

also, thanks for reminding me that i love e.e. cummings.